Messaging limits determine how many unique users your business can send messages to on a daily basis. This includes new conversations as well as existing conversations with users. The messaging limit does NOT limit the number of messages your business can send, just the number of users you are trying to message. The message limit does NOT apply to messages sent in response to a user-initiated message (Customer care message) within a 24-hour period.
- Tier 1: Allows your business to send messages to 1K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
- Tier 2: Allows your business to send messages to 10K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
- Tier 3: Allows your business to send messages to 100K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
Note: A business starts in Tier 1 when it registers its phone number. It may take at least 5 days for the new number to reach the last tier.
A business’s phone number will be upgraded to the next tier if:
- Its quality rating is not low, and
- The cumulative amount of users it sends notifications to adds up to twice its current messaging limit within a 7-day period.
Once the business reaches this threshold, it will be moved to the next tier. The minimum amount of time that this upgrade can occur is after 48 hours, when the business is sending messages up to their current limit every day.
Please note that if you exceed the daily limit for your tier, your messages will be undelivered and an error returned to you.
See the charts below for examples of how a business might move to the next tier:
Example 1: A business is upgraded from Tier 1 to Tier 2 when it messages a total of 2,000 users within a 7-day period.
Example 2: The chart explains the concept of messaging limit in a rolling 24-hour window.
To maintain high quality:
- Make sure messages follow the WhatsApp Business Policy.
- Only send messages to users who have opted into receiving messages from your business.
- Make the messages highly personalized and useful to users. Avoid sending open-ended welcome or introductory messages.
- Be mindful of messaging frequency; avoid sending customers too many messages a day. You need to be thoughtful of informational messages, optimizing for content and length.
- What messaging limit do businesses start at?
- All businesses start at the lowest tier and will automatically upgraded to higher tiers as they send out more messages that have high quality.
- How do I move from one messaging limit to another?
- WhatsApp will be automatically upgrade you a higher tier based on the volume and quality of the messages you send. Conversely, you can be downgraded if more of your messages are reported by users.
- Do messaging limit apply to user-initiated messages (Customer care messages)?
- No. Currently, messaging limits only apply to business-initiated messages (notifications)
- How fast can I send messages from my Syniverse WhatsApp Sender ID (Phone number) to a WhatsApp user?
- You can send messages at up to 15TPS per Sender ID